The Roads Australia Young Professionals Program taps into the previously unfulfilled demand for 'industry-wide' networking opportunities for the next generation of leaders.
- to provide opportunities for our young professionals to improve their networking skills;
- to broaden their knowledge and understanding of career opportunities and options in the industry;
- to add value to RA membership by increasing the depth of our engagement within our members' organisations (as opposed to only engaging with senior management);
- to provide encouragement for diversity in the industry and to keep women engaged, connected and supported; and
- to further entrench the 'giving back' philosophy among members.
Young Professionals 'PPP' Award - Promise, Passion and Pursuit - NOW OPEN
To support the development of young leaders in our industry, RA is offering the opportunity for one Young Professional to engage in a 12-month industry exposure and RA ambassador experience. This is a fantastic opportunity for the recipient to observe and understand how leaders interact and make decisions, and play an integral role in the growth and development of Roads Australia's YP network.
The successful applicant will be involved in the following:
- Opportunity to attend exclusive Boardroom events with exposure to other CEOs and influential leaders from the public and private sector throughout the year (including some travel where necessary)
- Opportunity to actively contribute to Young Professionals events including speaking and facilitating
- 12-month observer position on our Fellowship council, contributing to the growth and development of the Fellowship and Young Professionals network
- Free industry events for the 12-month period
The prize is awarded annually, with the winner announced at our end-of-year Gala Dinner. Our 2018 Award Winner is Teresa Tran, Graduate Engineer Transport - WSP.
In 2017, our inaugural winner was Elouise Robinson, a Graduate Highway Engineer with with RA member, Arcadis.
How to nominate
Nominations for the 2020 Award will be called in September 2019.
We're looking for a Young Professional who shows Promise, Passion and Pursuit in expanding his or her knowledge and leadership capability. Nominees are required to submit a two page application outlining:
- Name, title, organisation
- Phone number and email address
- Why you deserve to be selected for this opportunity (please outline any key achievements or industry contribution to date)
- Why you would be a good ambassador for Roads Australia
- What you’d like to take out of it (what questions you want answered, what learnings you hope to gain, and how you think you can use it to progress your career)
Nominations are to be submitted to Marlie Curtis via email@example.com by COB Friday 11 October.
Young Professionals Group Mentoring
Roads Australia is proud to host it's first year of Young Professionals Group Mentoring Session - hosted by RA Fellows. Booking are now open online for the following sessions:
Brisbane: Wednesday 26 June
Melbourne: Wednesday 10 July
Sydney: Thursday 22 August
Perth: Tuesday 10 September
How does it differ from the RA Fellowship Program?
The program has evolved along similar lines to our Fellowship Program, but with some key differences:
- It targets a different professional group.*
- The emphasis is on networking rather than mentoring.
- Participation isn't merit-based. Rather, it's open to all who fit the age/experience criteria, and who work for an RA member organisation.
Our events across Australia bring together hundreds of young professionals to share ideas, experiences and solutions, and to hear from current leaders about the challenges of 'stepping up' to the next level. In 2017, we hosted over 850 young professionals at six events around the country.
* Specifically those with 10-or-less years' industry experience, or under the age of 35
To join the YP network, email Marlie Curtis.
The RA Young Professionals Program is proudly supported by