RA is proud to once again be a Principal Partner for National Road Safety Week, which will run from 15-22 May.
Safety is RA’s top policy priority – and each year, National Road Safety Week provides is an opportunity to recommit to ensuring that everyone on the road gets home safely, every day with no exceptions.
Despite continued efforts from governments, industry and the community, 1,123 Australians died on our roads last year, and an estimated 40,000 were hospitalised with serious injuries.
National Road Safety Week was established by Peter Frazer of the Safer Australian Roads and Highways (SARAH) Group, after his 23-year-old daughter was tragically killed in a car crash 10 years ago. Each year, the week is supported by the Commonwealth, State, Territory and Local Governments, as well as key road safety organisations and corporate partners.
Throughout the week, iconic buildings and infrastructure will light up in yellow to remember those we have lost and those who have been seriously injured. There will also be events and community activities around the nation to promote measures to protect everyone who works and travels on our roads.
Of course, this year the week also coincides with our 2022 Transport Summit, and the safety of those for whom our roads are also a workplace will be the focus of a dedicated session on the Summit’s second day.
Throughout the week, RA will be sharing messages on social media highlighting different aspects of road safety.
There’s other ways for you get involved, including:
- Choose to drive safely and take an online pledge to do that at www.roadsafetyweek.com.au
- Discuss driving safely with your family, friends, and colleagues
- Wear a yellow ribbon lapel badge, yellow ribbon, or display a vehicle sticker available from (https://www.roadsafetyweek.net.au/road-safety-week) to show you are a road safety advocate
- Check your local area for events such as the National Walk Safely to School Day (Friday 20 May) and road safety information booths at local markets, malls, and community centres.
- Visit your local icons when they are lit up in yellow
- Promote your support for National Road Safety Week on social media using #NRSW or #DriveSoS hashtag or share social content from National Road Safety Week and the SARAH Group