The RA Fellowship Program is a unique mentoring initiative that matches industry ‘up and comers’ with some of the most experienced, senior leaders in the Australian infrastructure sector.
The program provides opportunities and encouragement for the next generation to develop leadership skills, build strong networks and stay engaged in our industry.
Since its inception in 2015, Fellowship status has become highly coveted. Each yearly intake is limited to around 40 Fellows.
Proudly supported by
How does it work?
- The Fellowship Program is a national mentoring program that pairs industry leaders (Mentors) with managers of 10 to 15 years’ experience who exhibit strong leadership potential (Fellows).
- Each Fellow is matched with a Mentor in their home state.
- Participants meet frequently over the course of the year, with Mentors providing one-on-one career counselling and leadership development.
- Fellowship opportunities are exclusive to staff employed by member organisations of RA.
- The Fellowship Program is not an academic fellowship.
RA recognises the need for gender equality across the industry. The Program actively promotes diversity. Our target is to achieve a balanced representation of men and women in the fellowship chapter. This will be reflected in the selection process.
Who is involved?
- The Program enjoys the support of some of the most respected leaders in our industry.
- It is chaired by Stuart Cook, Transport Lead, QLD, BG&E, and he is supported by the Future Leaders Committee.
- Confirmed mentors include current and former chief executives of road agencies and major private sector infrastructure companies and senior political leaders.
The Program – minimum commitment
- The Program runs for 12 months with a new Fellows intake each November.
- Successful applicants commence the Program with a two-day induction workshop and annual fellows dinner (Wednesday 1 – Thursday 2 November 2023).
- On-going monthly (1-2 hour) mentoring sessions
- A two-day mid-year workshop includes a site visit and the announcement of the Group Policy Project (May 2024).
- Project presentations and fellows annual end of year dinner (November 2024).
- The fellowship project (May – October 2024).
The fellowship project
The objective of The RA Fellowship Program is to develop the future leaders of our industry.
To support this goal, and as part of the program, our Fellows are asked to work in groups on a research project that demonstrates:
- understanding of key issues and challenges faced by the industry
- ability to work together on a collective response
- ability to apply presentation skills taught during the mid-year workshop
- ability to communicate a convincing argument to key stakeholders, and develop feasible implementation solutions for RA.
- As a Fellow, you will have unprecedented access to someone who’s ‘been there, done that’. You will be able to tap into their extensive knowledge, experience and skills; to seek their advice and guidance on your career path and learn first-hand the lessons of senior management.
- The benefits will extend far beyond the formal 12-month Program. This is about creating lasting networks: between individual Mentors and Fellows, and among Fellows.
- Indeed, it is expected that Fellows will remain ‘Fellows for life’ and through the fellowship chapter be marked by RA as industry leaders of the future.
The fellowship chapter is an impressive network of professional contacts all of whom have one thing in common. Fellows build and maintain peer-to-peer relationships across industry sectors, gaining greater exposure to different perspectives.
There is a $7,000 (+ GST) registration fee for each participating Fellow.
- All interstate accommodation with the welcome and induction two-day workshop, including annual fellows dinner (BNE) *
- All interstate accommodation associated with two-day mid-year workshop (SYD) *
- All interstate accommodation associated with one-day end-of-year workshop including annual fellows dinner (MEL) *
- Major project site visit during mid-year workshop (access permitting)
- One-on-one mentoring sessions – around one hour per month
- Leaders’ lunches – opportunities to take a seat at informal boardroom-style events limited to 20-30 senior executives engaging in Chatham House Rules discussions with key government stakeholders on industry issues
- Complimentary webinars with guest speakers on key industry topics
- Multi-state events – An event hosted in the Fellow’s home state open to all Fellows, past and present.
- Complimentary registration at RA Emerging Leaders events in home state
- Complimentary registration at RA Industry Lunches in home state featuring high profile guest speakers
- Complimentary registration at RA Annual Lunch, in home state – an end-of-year event featuring high a profile guest speaker, the likes of State Premier or Senior Minister.
*NB: for successful applicants, their organisation will be responsible for organising their own interstate travel. RA will be responsible for accommodation.
How to apply
- Candidates submit an application with the endorsement of their organisation
- Before applying, we encourage applicants and organisations to read the application guidelines
- Submit application with CV and letter of recommendation
- Applications for the 2024 intake strictly closes on Friday, 11 August 2023
- Candidates submit an application with the endorsement of their organisation.
- Applications are screened by RA for compliance with Program guidelines and application requirements. We may seek further information and conduct reference checking with you or your organisation.
- Candidate applications are presented to the RA Future Leaders Committee for consideration
- All candidates are notified
- Official Invitation to Fellowship Program
- Fellows receive Program Information
- 11 August 2023 – applications close
- Mid September 2023, all 2024 Fellows will be notified
- Wednesday 1 and Thursday 2 November 2023 – 2 day induction workshop and annual dinner – BRISBANE
- May 2024 – Fellows mid-year workshop – SYDNEY
- November 2024 – Fellowship project presentations and annual dinner – MELBOURNE
Fellowship application guidelines
Find out more about the application process for the candidate and the organisation.View guidelines
2024 Fellowship application form
Start your journey here to becoming an RA fellow for 2024.Apply now