The NSW Government will invest $5 million to speed up preparation of the state’s road networks through a Connected and Automated Vehicle (CAV) Bus Trial.
Transport for NSW is now seeking expressions of interest from local and international technology leaders to partner with bus manufacturers and transport operators to deliver the trial of on-road connected and automated buses.
TfNSW has identified a program to successfully accelerate the real-world application of CAV technologies, and actively pursue the integration of CAVs into the transport system.
The new CAV Readiness Strategy outlines six priority areas focused on integrating CAV vehicles technology into the transport system, including working within the national regulatory framework over the next five years to ensure readiness for commercial deployment.
The NSW CAV Readiness Strategy seeks to:
- Test and deploy CAVs on the road network
- Shape CAV policy, and customer outcomes
- Get the road network ready for CAVs
- Develop physical and digital CAV testing capabilities
- Support freight services automation
- Increase local CAV knowledge and skills